24 12 / 2012
AWS Advent 2012 Recap
It’s hard to believe that the 2012 AWS Advent is drawing to close. This all started because on 11/30 I found myself explaining what EC2 and this “cloud business” was to my father-in-law who is an old school C/C++ software developer and this got me thinking that an advent calendar explaining and exploring AWS would be beneficial, so I made a Tumblr blog and a Twitter account and dove in.
In 24 days we’ve done 21 posts with great content. Eighteen of which were written by yours truly, and we had three contributed posts, as well as a number of Tweets and RTs.
The topics covered were:
- Some key AWS Concepts
- Amazon Relational Database Service
- Amazon Virtual Private Cloud
- Getting Started with Boto
- Amazon CloudFormation Primer
- AWS re: Invent Recap
- Amazon Simple Notification Service
- AWS Backup Strategies
- Options for Automating AWS
- Bootstrapping Config Management on AWS
- Amazon Elastic Beanstalk
- AWS EC2 Configuration Management with Chef by Joshua Timberman
- Using IAM to Increase Flexibility and Security by Erik Hollensbe
- Using ELB and Auto-Scaling
- Automating Backups in AWS
- AWS Direct Connect by Benjamin Krueger
- Monitoring and AWS
- EC2 In-depth
- Exploring aws-cli
- Strategies for re-usable CloudFormation Templates
All the articles and sample code has been posted to a Github repository.
Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
If you have any feedback please contact me on on Twitter, @solarce or email me solarce+awsadvent2012 at gmail dot com. I’d love to hear what you liked, didn’t like, would like to see, or maybe contribute, for next year.